Wednesday 9 January 2013

Medlar

 
During our last visit to London in November my partner and I were very fortunate to have a reservation at the Electrolux Cube with chef Tom Kerridge. We were only in London for one overnight stay but our train was not due to to leave for Liverpool till 4pm the next day so there was time to have lunch before leaving. I had heard very good things about Medlar, in fact I had not heard one bad thing about Medlar.

I liked the fact although Medlar has a Michelin star this was regarded amongst reviewers as a more relaxed affair without letting up on quality and standard.

Owners Joe Mercer Nairne & David O'Connor have a combined wealth of experience.
Joe Mercer Nairne has worked in some of the worlds finest kitchens from Carluccio's, the Savoy grill, Chez Bruce, as well as a stint down under in Sydney at Neil Perry's Rockpool .
David O'Connor, has managed front of house at three of the Nigel Platts - Martin restaurants, The Square, Chez Bruce and the Ledbury ..... and is a fellow Scouser !

Checking the menu on Medlar's website we were stunned to see the set menu priced at £30.00 per head, offering a massive choice per course. Not to mention the fantastic reviews from the likes of AA Gill, Giles Coren, Charles Campion, Jay Rayner to name a few.
We didn't waste another second in picking the phone up, Hurrah they had a table for 12.30pm.

From the outside Medlar has the casual look of a neighbourhood restaurant, inside is smart and stylish soft tones of greys and greens and crisp white table cloths. The service is warm and very professional,service went like clockwork. 


For my first course I chose Duck egg tart with red wine sauce,turnip puree, lardons and sauteed duck hearts. It was the most fantastic combination of flavours, A perfect fried duck egg sat on the thinnest sliver of pastry but there was a meaty element with the duck hearts and lardons, the sauce bringing a deep rich savoury element which brought everything together in a perfect balanced dish.


My partner chose Crab ravioli with samphire, brown shrimps, fondue of leeks and bisque sauce. I was assured that this was very tasty and she loved all the different textures in this dish. 


We both chose the same mains, Fillet and cheek of middle white pork with boudin noir, chestnuts, sprouts, sage and artichokes. Stunningly soft pork which just cut like butter and great crackling ! always a winner.




For my desert I chose Chocolate tart. This came with Pistachio ice cream which I like but there was another desert which had prune and armagnac and I fancied that. No problem for the kitchen this was swapped for my preferred choice, I was a very happy bunny.
I have to say this was one of the nicest chocolate tarts I have ever had and I have had a few !! The nicest surprise was it was warm, most are served cold. This made for a very light desert and the pastry was the thinnest pastry I have ever seen I cant begin to imagine how they managed to line the tin without it tearing.




My partner was so full she opted for the Clementine sorbet with almond nougatine. The verdict on this was divine but one scoop would have been enough as it was very tart. This is not a criticism it's fantastic that it had not been sweetened, just with something so tart a little goes along way.




























There's not many Michelin starred restaurants you can eat for such a reasonable price, this was an outstanding meal and one we would like to repeat again.

You can find Medlar at: 
438 Kings Road
Chelsea SW10 0LJ
020 7349 1900


Stay Connected With Free Updates!

To get every new Eat Slurp Burp post delivered to your inbox

No comments:

Post a Comment